Terms of Access
The C’Nano M2 course is designed for holders of the “Licence” degree in Physics (Minor Physics or Chemistry) of Nantes University, or equivalent, with knowledge in electromagnetism, mechanics, thermodynamics, waves and vibrations, quantum mechanics.
The C’Nano course is a joint training course in English between the University of Nantes and the universities of Rennes 1, Southern Brittany and Western Brittany.
Courses can be taught in French or English.
The course “Nanosciences, Nanomaterials, Nanotechnologies” is a multidisciplinary scientific training course at the Bac +5 level, focusing on innovative materials and technologies, particularly at the nano scale, at the heart of innovation in many sectors.
At the end of this course, the student will have acquired the following skills:
• Research and development of innovative concepts, materials and technologies to meet societal challenges
• Setting up and managing R & D projects
• Advising and providing scientific and technical expertise in innovative technologies and materials
This training course meet the needs of academic research and R & D in the Materials, information and communication technologies, new and sustainable energies, transport, or at the interface with life sciences and medicine.
The training consists of core and non-disciplinary modules representing a total of 30 ECTS for 300 hours of teaching including 10% distance education. Various teaching methods are used to favorize the student’s progress.
Core curriculum (50% provided by lecturers outside of the University of Nantes)
- Nanophysics (20 h, 2 ECTS)
- Nanoelectronics (20 h, 2 ECTS)
- Nanocomposites – Nanostructured materials (20 h, 2 ECTS)
- Nanomaterials (20 h, 2 ECTS)
- Nano-bio-objects (20 h, 2 ECTS)
- Nanocaracterization (20 h, 2 ECTS)
Specialized practical modules
- Nanotechnology – theory and practice (32 h, 3 ECTS)
- Awareness of Nanotoxicology (5 h)
- Thin films – theory and practice (18 h, 2 ECTS)
- Digital modeling project (20 h, 3 ECTS)
- Financing Innovation, patents filling (10 h, 1 ECTS)
- Scientific and technical English (10 h, 1 ECTS)
Modules specific to Nantes University
- Materials: R & D and Applications (35 h, 4 ECTS)
- Surface analysis and microscopy (21 h, 2 ECTS)
- Experimental laboratory project (24 h, 2 ECTS)
Objectives related to Bioregate topics
The skills developed during this course will allow the graduate student to pursue doctoral studies (3-year degree and a 3-year fixed term contract) in an academic research laboratory or in a R & D department of a companies.
More than 80% of the graduates of the Nano course are recruited in thesis 4 months after obtaining their master’s degree (about 20% in companies and 80% in the academic laboratory).
- Information and Communications Technologies
- New and Renewable Energies
- Higher Education and Academic Research
o Engineer and Research Framework, Research and Development
o Project Manager
o Researcher or professor (after a PhD)
Further training possibilities
It is possible, after M1 validation, to develop a double competence: scientific with the CNANO M2 Nano plus “innovation management” or “management” skills to endorse management or coordination positions in innovative projects in companies. This three-year training relies on a partnership with the “IAE de Nantes” (Nantes University Business School).